The language school where Ryan and I attend had a field trip to a local Wat (Buddhist Temple) to teach us more about Pchum Bun and for us to practice Khmer. Ryan did not actually go due to other commitments, but I enjoyed going and seeing all the festivities. We walked around the Wat and then we got to sit in groups with a monk and ask him questions. At this point my Khmer is still pretty basic so I did not understand much of what the monk said. I could ask him is name, age, favorite color, etc.
The monk we talked to was 24 years old, like me, and I think he said he had been a monk for 10 years. One of the other students asked him, "Why did you become a monk?" My teacher interpreted that answer for me and he said he became a monk because his father and stepmother were not getting along. Another family member told him he should become a monk, so he did. He said that after he became a monk he felt much peace. Another student also asked him if he had peace in his heart. The monk said he did and that the more he studies Buddhist teachings the more peace he has.
When we arrived at the temple there were not many people there, but by the time we left their were many people. People were bringing rice, fruit, money, flowers, etc. to give to the monks and their ancestors.
Hanging to the right of the door you will see an orange bag. The monks carry these in public. I don't know if they are for their belongings or if they serve some other purpose.
This tent was set up for the holiday. We saw people dropping rice into the different bowls, and money into the boat on the right.
There were these large graves surrounding the Wat. My teacher told me they belonged to either someone rich or important.
Inside the temple. People come in here to meet with the monks.
The Ceiling
My teammate and I enjoying some sugar cane juice a vender was selling at the Wat.
-Melissa
No comments:
Post a Comment