Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Daily Task, Part Three

                Submission unto rest. That’s been my motto recently. When I wake up at 6 A.M. and am immediately greeted by sweat and stickiness, I have to remember. When I’m stuck in traffic and covered in dust, sweat, and fumes, I have to remember. When a lesson goes bad, or when my moto won’t start, or when my stomach disagrees with what I just had for lunch, I have to remember. “Submit. Rest.”
                When a student asks a deeper question, or when I finally remember how to say a Khmer phrase, or when I hear a story of a student or of a neighbor who has been transformed, I must remember, still: “Submit. Rest.”
                In all things, submit. Let it be as natural as inhaling air. In all things, rest. Let it be as natural as exhaling.
                I’ve been asking the Father to lead me into this rhythm. I have days where I see his grace at work. I have days where I am incredibly different than my natural self tries to be. This is a sure sign of sheer grace, when we are not who we were, but rather who we will be.
                I have days where I stumble, too. In fact, no day is perfect. It is difficult for mortals to learn the rhythms of the Timeless One.
                Here’s what I’ve been hearing, lately. Another step. Another note in the rhythm of life. Submission and rest have to do with how we live; the next step has to do with what we do. And there is glory in such submission.
                When we submit ourselves to the Father, we walk in his rest. As we walk in his rest, a remarkable thing happens: he fills us with his grace. But this grace isn’t an end unto itself. Here’s the miracle: when we submit unto his rest, he fills us with whatever he has purposed for the accomplishing of his purposes. Think about that for a minute. Think about all the “greats” of our faith’s history. Were they anything special? No. They simply took the Father at his word: “Come unto me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” And in coming to him, and receiving rest, what came next?
                More labor—but without burden.
                This is what happens when we submit to his rest. Does one need encouragement? May the Father find a submitted son who rests in him, and fill him with a sense of urgency for the one who is discouraged. Does another have need? May the Father find a submitted daughter who rests in him, and fill her with compassion for the needy person. Is anyone lost or anxious or lonely, or wrathful or prideful or even hostile? May the Father find his own children submitted in faith to his will, and walking in his promised rest, and may he fill them with all his gifts and empowerment to do his will.
                The crazy thing is that this really does happen. And when it happens—when we labor from this position of resting submission—we seldom notice the burden that it brings. In fact, we just might find joy where once we found sorrow, peace where once we found pain, and hope where once we found despair.
                May we submit to him today. May we rest in him today. And may we labor through his grace.


-Ryan


No comments:

Post a Comment