Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2014

A Reflection and a Challenge



So I recently read this book called “Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity”. Even though it doesn’t end well and it can be somewhat of a depressing book, I would say it is a good book. Why? It overflows with the realities of the poor in a developing nation: overwhelming corruption, jealousy among the poor, the rich using the poor to become richer, and an overall lack of fair opportunities for everyone. It is written by a lady who spent a great deal of time in a slum in India capturing the lives of those dwelling there. I can really relate with some of the stories the book details since I work with many poor families in Cambodia. The story ends without telling you what the answer is to the slums of India or how to help. It leaves that part completely open-ended for readers to figure out. In a way I like the way it ends because it is a very honest. Poverty and related issues are very, very complex and no one has them completely figured out.

Some people might read this book and be discouraged, but I would hope not. For me, when I see dark, dismal, and discouraging situations something in me challenges me to run toward them, to run toward the darkness. I love being real about the obstacles before us and I feel that though we don’t know all the answers we know enough to do something. The Father has told us how things are going to end; at the same time, he has commanded us to help the weak and the poor, and since we don’t know all the hows and whys we have to seek him every step of the way.

Reflection on this book leads me to want to challenge others to learn about the social problems that surround them. Often I feel that we are pressured to present these problems like a nicely wrapped gift when we talk to others about them. We say the issue and we tell how people can work to eliminate the problem. We like to use statistics like Americans spend X amount of money on coffee each day and that could eliminate issue Y. While those statistics may be true (and often embarrassing), many issues have more complexities than money alone. I want to challenge you to learn and not stop learning, to ask good questions, to get involved in peoples’ lives, and not make excuses for why you can’t. Ask the Father to open your eyes. May he continue to open my eyes. Goodness knows I’m finding every day I have so much more to learn.

Melissa


P.S. If you do want to read this book know that it is not a believing author and may not be appropriate for all audiences. For example, it contains some language and some stories include vivid descriptions of oppression, suffering, and death.

Slum in India near the international airport

No comments:

Post a Comment