A good
friend of mine was getting ready to leave my house after a brief visit. It would
be the last time we’d see each other for a very long time. As he began walking
down the stairs of our apartment, he turned and looked at me, with a smile on
his face, and said, “Well, see you in two years. But if I don’t see you again,
Ryan, then I’ll see you in the kingdom.”
At that
time I was amazed to hear such words coming out of the mouth of my friend. I mean,
come on: we’re both recent college grads. We’ve got “our whole lives ahead of
us,” right?
Then I began
to ponder what my friend had said. The longer I thought about it, the clearer I
saw: the kingdom is the future. All else between that future and this present moment
is of lesser value—it is not without value, surely, for it is the agent that
brings us into the future.
I read
somewhere that first century believers used to gather together at various times
to lift up a specific request: maranatha.
They actually met together in order to ask that the Son would return and
establish his reign upon the earth. They lived as if his return was not merely definite,
but imminent. We can see this over and over in the N.T.
Do I want
his kingdom to come? Do I want him to return, like he said he would? Do I want
him to come back for me, and take me to where he is, that I may be with him and
he with me?
Sometimes
I do. But sometimes I hope that he waits just a bit longer. I want to see and
experience so many things in this life that I feel sure, for some strange
reason, I will not see in the kingdom.
The implications
of this thought are startling. It means that I would rather be here in a broken
world than in a perfected one. It means I would rather experience all the joys
and pleasures of life through the mortal, defective lens that I am born with
instead of experiencing them with the immortal, indestructible perspective of
the Eternal One. It means I would rather praise him from a distance instead of
face-to-face.
And it
means I consider this realm to be of greater worth and value than the realm
where his glory is actual, visible, and beautiful.
I’ve
been reading lately about the “seventh day” that the Creator set aside for
rest. This is what I’ve found:
At the
close of the sixth day, the Creator “finished” all his work. All that he had
willed to do had been done. Nothing was altered or hindered or forgotten. All was,
essentially, perfected. So then, from this viewpoint, to “finish” something, by
the Creator’s standards, is to “perfect” it. And where does he go from there?
He rests.
This rest
is not a rest from weariness or in response to weakness. This is a rest of
accomplishment. Do you know what that feels like? That moment when a runner
crosses the finish line, that moment when a mother’s last push brings life into
being, that moment when the last nail is driven, the last drop of blood has
fallen, and that last breath is given over to signify the completion of a work—that
moment, that rest, is not about being tired, but about bringing something to
completion, to finality, to perfection. So, when this moment is achieved, what’s
next?
Albert
Barnes puts it this way: “The only good that can be bestowed on a portion of
time is to dedicate it to a noble use, a special and pleasing enjoyment.” In other
words, when perfection is achieved, the natural (and most virtuous) way to
react to it is to set apart another moment of time—a moment of celebration.
This should
tell us something about the nature of our Maker. In the culmination of his
accomplished work and subsequent rest, there is pleasure. His creating of all
things, his perfecting of all things, his resting from all things, and his
setting apart of all things, displays to the human mind that the final verdict
and inherent purpose of our Creator in creating the universe was to display his
own pleasure and joy. And know this: it is a trustworthy thing to say that he
loves those things in which he takes joy, those things which he set apart, perfected,
and made—those things which he spoke his light and spirit into, thus drawing
them out of darkness and into his rest.
This is
his design: he creates for the purpose of his glory (Is. 43:7), he creates and
always blesses his creation (Gen. 5:12, Eph. 2:10), and thus creates joy in
those things he has made (Ps. 104:31). The intention of our Creator is always
perfection, rest, and a setting apart of that which he has made. As parents who
conceive and bear a child do so for their own joy and pleasure and glory (Ps.
127), so he creates man in his own image; as parents then set apart that child
and dedicate it to him (Ex. 13:1-2, Lk.
2:22-23), so also he sets apart his people for the kingdom of his rest.
Ultimately,
then, the creation of man is a foreshadowing of the coming of the Son; the
blessing of the “seventh day” foreshadows the eternal perfection of the kingdom
of our Father’s power, glory, rest, and pleasure. In other words, he made you
and he made me to be witnesses of his perfection and beauty in his kingdom. He has not made us for this world.
If,
then, we are made for the kingdom, and yet remain in the earth, let us live
according to the design that our Father had in mind since the very beginning,
holding fast to the hope we have in he who said both, “It is finished” and “It
is very good.” Him we proclaim to the world, that the world may know rest, perfection,
and pleasure in the One who has made all things and who holds all things
together.
Maranatha.
-Ryan
No comments:
Post a Comment