Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Through the Eyes of a Child


 

The last couple of weeks we have had the grand opportunity to share not only with adults about Cambodia, but also children. Why is this a grand opportunity? This is a great opportunity because you can be sure that the Father will use what you say to draw these little ones to him.

Who says kids don’t remember things years later? I remember learning about other cultures at a young age. I remember when my teachers allowed us to color our legs in magic markers while we learned how women in India decorate their body when they get married. I remember going to cross-cultural festivals where I saw all the different clothing and heard how people lived around the world. I remember when my mom challenged me from a young age to reach out to others through taking me to nursing homes, making care packages, and delivering meals on wheels. These are just some of the activities I remember; at the time I may not have been initially eager to do them, but they stuck with me. I remember when we would go to the home of our friends from India and their house smelled of unfamiliar spices. These experiences taught me that people are unique and all important and loved by the Father. These experiences taught me that it was not all about me and that I received great joy in serving others.

All that said it has been great to share with some children about what we will be doing in Cambodia. Some children seem to absorb what you say, and you never know what they are going to grow up to do some day. I’ve been sharing a story about a little girl named Nari. It is a fictional story, but based on many things I have learned about the lives of children in Cambodia. I tell the kids I have brought spiders for them to eat just like the children in Cambodia. Their eyes get real big, but I wait until later to tell them that they are really spiders made of Ritz crackers, peanut butter, and pretzel sticks. This last time we were also able to bring some clothes that look similar to Cambodian traditional clothing.

I encourage you to teach the children in your life about other cultures in the world and the ones right around them. You who are parents and role models have such a tremendous opportunity and calling to be an example and to make a lasting impact! May he guide us all as we invest in the next generation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment