This past month I’ve cried a lot. Going home and coming back
has been quite the emotional experience for me and I feel that usually I’m not
an emotional person. I felt tears coming on when we first landed on American
soil; I held back emotion as I sat in the pew watching my now sister-in-law
come down the aisle to my brother-in-law; I had tears come when I had to say
goodbye to my in-laws; I broke down in my room at my parents’ house when I saw
it was just how I’d left it a year before; and I shed tears when I had to say
goodbye to my parents at the airport. When we got on the plane the night we
left Atlanta
and the lights were dimmed I looked out the window and tears came again. I was
filled with the faces of friends and family that I love dearly and people who I
know love me: those who have loved me from the day I was born to friends I have
met in between, and to people who have only recently adopted me into their
lives.
Why so emotional? Part of it might be that it is a shock to
my system. My life in the capital city of Cambodia
is very different from the life I lived in small-town USA. Honestly,
the day-to-day task of living in Cambodia makes living here
difficult. The numerous doctors’ visits I was making in SC were also draining
and frustrating as it took away from time that I wanted to be spending with
people, but that is another story. While those are valid reasons for an
emotional experience neither one compares to the emotions I feel surrounding
seeing people I miss and love.
I have experienced rich, deep community in the US. The kind
that some people never experience. The kind that the Father brings together that
makes you honestly wonder how it is that you are blessed with such a wonderful
thing. While in the US
we sat down with our friends, Ken and Mary. They mentioned how they have seen
people move out from the community and really mourn the loss of it. They didn’t
stop there, though; they challenged us that since we have experienced this kind
of community it is our responsibility to replicate it wherever we go. But the
truth is that to create such community takes a lot of hard work. It takes
vulnerability, being honest when it hurts, walking with people through joy and
pain, and sometimes it even means calling each other out. It takes sharing, and
time well-spent together. Yet it is so worth it, and wells up emotions in me
that I can’t really find words to express.
It was difficult saying hello and goodbye again and again. I
like to say, “See you next time,” and make a quick exit. It’s like leaving a
child in the nursery. Sometimes it goes so much smoother when the parent sets
the child down, hands them a toy, and leaves quickly. When they give a
prolonging goodbye it is sometimes more traumatizing for everyone involved.
Anyway, all that said, it was so wonderful to go home, and
so rewarding and encouraging—but not always easy. On the same note though, I
have been very encouraged returning here to Cambodia and feeling embraced and
welcomed by the communities here.
This is the conclusion of the matter. He made us to live in
community. Once you’ve surrendered to that gift, you can never be the same
person again.
What kind of community are you building?
-Melissa
Thank you for sharing you heart, Melissa. A few of us have cried those same tears...right along with you. Thank you for this reminder of community where ever we are... In whatever circumstances we are in. It seems to me that when my heart is aching for things that are not to be, I'm reminded that this world and all the ones I treasure in it, are not my final "community- that the Father has something far greater waiting for me. You are always in my thoughts and I continue to lift your heart to the Father...for comfort, strength and encouragement. I love you!
ReplyDeleteMelissa...As I read your heart a song came to me. It is one of my favorites. It's called "Tears are a Language God understands". All the tears you shed are understood by our Heavenly Father. Rest in knowing how much He loves you. You and Ryan are such a blessing to everyone who knows you. I do not know you well, but I can feel your desire for these lost people and just know that our Father looks on you and Ryan with compassion for answering His call on your life to bring His Life to them. May you be blessed today. Am continuing to hold you up in prayer. Blessings and peace
ReplyDelete