Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Japanese Sister



“Can I live with you?” That was the question I was asked one morning as I entered my high school building my junior year. It was two weeks into school and the question was being asked by my new classmate, Satsuki. I had recently met Satsuki in my home-economics class where I would turn the pages of her book for her. I had started inviting her to hang out with my friends and I. It turned out that her house parent had lost her job and had to move to another state. It wasn’t long after that morning that Satsuki moved in with my family.
I now call Satsuki my Japanese sister. I learned so much from sharing life with her over that year. I was able to teach her about my life and American culture, which included everything from going to youth group to carving pumpkins and going to see Santa. She was able to teach me about Japanese culture, telling me about everything from what a public bath house is like, to teaching me how to do origami. We had a blast together and sometimes like real sisters we got tired of each other, too. We shared a room, clothes, and friends that year. It is a year I will always remember and one that I am so thankful for.
Since that year Satsuki has been to visit me twice and just recently I had the opportunity to visit her. I have always wanted to visit Satsuki in Japan, but thought I might not ever have that opportunity. Phnom Penh has no direct flights to the US at this time so we are always going to have to stop in a larger Asian city first before heading across the Pacific. Satsuki now works in the capital city of Tokyo, so it worked out perfectly for us to stop in and see her as well as her sister on our way back to the US this summer. What a blessing!
In 2011, Satsuki (right) and Chika (left) came to my wedding. Now I can say I have two Japanese sisters.


Tokyo, July 2013

Sight-seeing in the rain

View from the above ground train. 


These ladies really treated us in Japan! Love them so!

You never know who the Father will bring into your life, or from where.

-Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment