On Monday I walked into the center to see several of the
Khmer staff wearing sunglasses inside. I soon realized they were wearing
sunglasses because they had pink eye. Knowing pink eye is extremely contagious
I wondered why they had come to work when most of them are working with
children. I just assumed that they were wearing the sunglasses because they
were embarrassed by how their eyes looked. I had heard pink eye horror stories
from foreigners in Cambodia
and quickly decided I was going to wash my hands even more frequently than I
already do. For example, the HPC director had told me she had got pink eye so
bad she could not open her eye and as a baby her daughter had it so bad she was
bleeding out of her eyes. (Yikes!)
Shortly after discovering the staff had pink eye I returned
home to find my little neighbor girl with her face pressed up against my
window, looking quite pitiful. She also had pink eye and was not feeling well.
I mentioned to my tutor the recent pink eye epidemic and the
importance of cleaning things. He then proceeded to tell me that most Cambodian
people, himself included, believe pink eye spreads by looking into the eyes of
someone else who already has pink eye.
My assumption about the staff wearing sunglasses was wrong.
They weren’t wearing sunglasses because they were embarrassed; they were
wearing sunglasses because they believed they were preventing others from
getting pink eye by looking at them. This belief was displayed again and again
with other pink eye encounters I’ve had recently. One of my neighbors recently
talked to me by putting her hand over her eyes. In Khmer she told me, “My eyes
are sick. Don’t look at me. Don’t look at me.”
So far we are thankful to not have caught pink eye. Even
Ryan’s students have had it lately. At times we try to encourage people to wash
their hands and things in their house to prevent pink eye. We want to help
prevent the spread of it, but we have to be careful how we encourage people in
their cleanliness. This whole example of a cultural belief has caused me to
wonder: do we have things in our own culture that we really believe are true,
but are probably just old wives’ tales?
-Melissa
No comments:
Post a Comment