Since moving to our new
location, Mel and I have been developing our friendship with the dorm ministry
where our friend Kal lives, which is just up the road. He is very happy to be able to walk to our place
now (before he had to ride a bicycle a couple of miles through some pretty bad
traffic to get to us). For me in particular, it’s been a joy to get to know Kal’s
college friends at the boys’ dorm. I have very fond memories of the brothers I had
in those years at university, and while university life in Phnom Penh is
considerably different from the average American experience, it is easy to see
that Kal and his cohorts have developed a similar kind of brotherhood.
Last week, Kal invited me to
come play soccer with him and his friends. Now let me set the record straight: our
first year, I went to play soccer with a group of guys almost every week. Kal
joined in on that from time to time. But that was a year ago. Since then (to my
awakening chagrin), I’ve not really done much exercise other than climbing staircases.
In an effort to build
relationships with Kal and his friends, I decided to join them this afternoon.
An hour of pick-up? I can handle that. There’s little space for play in the
city and with traffic and the busyness of life I assumed that soccer with the
guys was no big deal. Nobody's that into it.
Big whoops.
When I arrived at Kal’s dorm,
the first sign of trouble was that most everyone was wearing cleats, shin
guards, and uniforms. Bright orange
NIKE outfits with big white numbers.
Kal hopped on the back of my
moto and said, “Let’s go.” I thought we were just heading down the road a bit.
Instead, we coursed through narrow alleys and wide, dusty streets until we passed
the outer belt of the city and began to enter the countryside. A short while
later, we came to the Royal University of Agriculture, a lush campus located on
the southern outskirts of Phnom Penh.
We bounded down a few
pothole-ridden lanes and finally turned a corner to see a full-size soccer field nestled into the RUA campus. I don’t know how to stress the importance
of that. I’ve played on a number of fields in Phnom Penh. They’ve never been
full-size. Not even close.
While this was actually quite
exciting to me, at the same time reality began to set in, as a few referees
showed up and someone tossed me a
uniform. Now I wasn't sure what kind of commitment I had stated when I said, “Sure,
I can play today.”
I soon learned that we were
going to be playing what appeared to be every bit of a regulation match: 11v11, two 45-minute halves, rules about being offside or out of bounds (“Wait,
you guys actually play with rules?”), and an opposing team from another
university on the other side of the field—led by the Rector of the school
himself.
Let me stress again that I have
neither played soccer nor seriously exercised in about a year. Let me also say
that my pair of Wal-Mart running shoes that I bought in college (and don’t have
much sole left) aren't very great for stopping momentum. And while I’m at it
with all these excuses let me also say that it was really, really hot today (It’s
bad when you’re drenched with sweat before the
game starts) and that, being a Sunday, I was already a bit tired and not so
sure about playing soccer at such a competitive level.
The game was brutal. I started off okay, trying my best to discern the other 21 Khmer voices as the ball began to move, but the further along we went, the worse things got. Thanks to my sneakers I did a fine job of slipping and sliding and whiffing at balls. On top of that, these guys were fast and in shape. Nobody jogged. They bounded. I wheezed as salty streams gushed down my forehead into my eyes.
I made it about to the first
half, and luckily was saved by the fact that I had to get back home for a
meeting. The ride home was the icing on the cake. Not only was I the only
foreign face in the vicinity, but I was also the only foreign face wearing a
bright orange (and a bit too snug, I might add) soccer jersey with rather short shorts. I’m so glad to
have brightened everyone’s day as I passed by.
By the time I got home, I had
reflected upon the day’s lessons. First, don’t wear Wal-Mart running shoes to
play 11v11. Just don’t. Second, ask for longer shorts. Third, ask more
questions before volunteering to do something.
Fourth: forget number three. The
joy of discovery outweighs the hardship, and the opportunities for community
and friendship can even make wearing a bright-colored jersey in an intense football match on a hot afternoon
in a foreign country seem like a perfect day.
-Ryan

No comments:
Post a Comment