Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hunting with a Hunger

The past several months have been quite rewarding for me. One of the things I love about being a teacher is getting to see the "light bulb" moment when a student has made a discovery in the classroom.

I live in a country where critical thinking skills simply aren't the norm. That is not a slam on the culture; it's just the way things are. Because relationships are so central, and because power and authority are such recognizable features, most people either accept what they hear from those closest to them (i.e., their family) or from those who maintain a higher position in society (i.e., teachers, doctors, politicians, and foreigners). They don't need to always depend on their own mental abilities to a high degree in order to be a part of society.

This means that whenever I teach, I am constantly living a paradox as I seek to use my position ("foreigner" and "teacher") to peel back the layers of trust that my students have ("family") in order to show them that in my Father's kingdom, there is no hierarchy. And there seems to be no better way to demonstrate this to them than by coming, humbly, to the Word.

In the last few months, I've been meeting with several small groups of students in order to open up the pages of the Great Story. Sometimes I meet with only one student at a time. Sometimes with three or four, or even eight or nine or ten. By the Father's grace, I have been able to conduct most of our study time in the heart language of these students. By his continued grace I hope to continually grow deeper in my knowledge of their heart language and culture--for they are inseparably linked--in order to engage them at the heart level.

Our times of study have been incredible. Why? Not because of me. Not because we've worked through the historical context of the books of this Book. Not because we've spent time dealing with misconceptions of what this Book is or how it is to be used. Not because we are learning inductive study methods or how to read a passage in context or how to develop an honest and accurate hermeneutic. Not even because we've learned that, from Genesis to Revelation, we are looking into the depths and riches of the most magnificent story in history, a story which finds its unity in the person of our King.

All of these are wonderful things. But they are not the reason our study times have been so amazing. The reason is simple: we are hungry. "Student" and "teacher" alike come with an appetite for intimate glory.

And our Shepherd wants to feed his sheep.

I have been so challenged by the attitude and posture of these young believers. Their prayers amaze me:

"Thank you, Father, that we could read Matt. chapter two today. Thank you that we also got to read from Micah, Hosea, Jeremiah, and Isaiah" (the verses referenced by Matthew in the "Christmas story").

"Help us to know your word more so we can know you more." 

"Send your word to the people in Cambodia who don't have it yet." 

"Let them hear your word and believe."

I praise our Father for his great grace, which has drawn each one of these hearts to himself. I praise him for putting a hunger for knowledge and wisdom and truth and joy in them, and for providing us with the opportunity to teach them how to hunt.



-Ryan




No comments:

Post a Comment