Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Grace on the Other Side of Failure

            A test of faith is an act of grace.
            This weekend was one of those times when nothing goes according to plan. Saturday was supposed to be a day full of projects and tasks as we prepare for Melissa’s parents, who will arrive this Wednesday. Sunday was supposed to be a calm morning breakfast with our dear friend Yvonne, who just returned from the States, followed by a quiet afternoon before gathering with our teammates in the evening.
            Instead, Saturday began with a headache that was destined to set the tone for the rest of the day. I could get into all the details, but suffice it to say that most everything we did (despite actually get a lot accomplished) was difficult, tedious, and more time-consuming than we anticipated. Miscommunication led to frustration and impatience. Technical difficulties (like my moto dying alongside the road AGAIN) led me to anger. At various points throughout the day we found ourselves grumbling and woeful, which often led us to be edgy towards one another and to those around us. Sunday wasn’t much different. By the middle of the day I’d had just about all I could handle of things falling apart or not working out. And it didn’t help that in the morning on Saturday, during my devotional time, I had been asking the Father to lead us to a deeper place of faith. I had prayed exactly these words: “Test our hearts. Find us sincerely surrendered and joyful.” Those words haunted me instead of helping. I felt that I had failed.
            As is often the case, I didn’t perceive all the twists and turns of the weekend as a test of faith until way late in the game. I didn’t realize that my prayer had actually been answered. But Sunday afternoon, standing over the shambles of the previous day and a half, I finally stopped my sulking and fuming and sought the Father’s voice. He led me to see that my patience and love had been tested this weekend, and that the fire of our trials (minute as they really were, in the long run of things) had revealed my selfishness and anger. The old man yet clings to me.
            But then the Father showed me grace, and in many ways. First he showed me that this testing was an act of grace. Second he showed me that it was grace that first led my heart to pray what I prayed, and which led him to answer. And he showed me it was grace now that taught me, here on the other side of failure.
            And then another level of grace brought me to another truth, another lesson, which I am now currently pondering and seeking to take to heart. So let me share it with you.
            I realized today that I do have a desire and readiness to give and to love and to serve others. I do really want to spend my life this way. And the only way this is possible is through the very real grace of the Father. Without his grace in my heart, I would be one impatient, angry time bomb, the fragments of my explosive nature ripping apart the world around me. But instead, I am gradually becoming less angry and more patient. You want proof of grace in your life? This is it.
            Wonderful as that truth is, that is not the lesson I want to share. I learned something new today, again. The Father revealed to me that I do in fact have the imprint of his grace in my life—and I rejoice in that!—but he also showed me that I have by no means “arrived.” While it is true that I have a very real desire to give of myself to others, it is likewise true that I struggle to perform this desire whenever I am not at ease. If I’m comfortable, I can follow through on the desire to serve others. If things aren’t so peachy for me, forget it.
            It struck me that it is no great thing for me to be generous—with my resources, with my time, with my energy, with my patience—when I feel secure. Prior to this weekend, I felt that I really was ready to give myself away to others—but I had assumed that readiness amid ease was enough. I assumed giving out of myself, even sacrificially, was enough, without the necessity of discomfort. But today I realized that discomfort itself is often an agent of grace. It helps me see who I am. It forces me to either embrace the old man or to walk in newness of life. I was forced to such a crossroads today.
            The reality is that we are called to a readiness amid discomfort. I’m not just talking about those “extreme” cases of persecution or trial. I’m talking about even those situations in which something petty like an obstinate, broken down moto reveals our true colors. It is in those moments that we are offered grace—a grace that desires to refine us. It is, as I said, a crossroads—we are presented with an opportunity. Will we respond to this moment according to the flesh or according to the Spirit?
            This weekend proved to me that I am thoroughly unable to respond as I ought. And I admitted that to the Father. “You want me to walk this way. I can’t do it.” And he reminded me that this is exactly the reason that he says, “My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in your weakness.” “C’mon, Ryan. I know that. That’s what my grace is for.”
            The other benefit of this weekend’s trials is that it proves that these truths are not flowery, abstract ideas tucked away in some tired sermon series or devotional book. These are real things. He can give us the ability to give ourselves away. He can give us the grace to do so in the middle of discomfort, confusion, and struggle. He really can make us be full of “pure joy” in the midst of “trials of any kind,” whether it is something big and scary like persecution or cancer or a loved one’s death, or something small (but never insignificant) like a vehicle not starting or a careless word or a mosquito bite. In all of these things, we can have joy and experience grace.
            That’s the lesson I wanted to share with you today, and I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.


-R

No comments:

Post a Comment