Do you remember any of those times when your dad said
something and laughed, as if you knew why it was funny or important, and you
ended up laughing with him? Do you recall those times when your dad told a
story or a joke, and, even though you knew the punch line already, you laughed
aloud when he gave it to you again? Do you have any memories of your father
talking about a thing that was before your time, a thing that you could not
understand, and yet, because your father told you about it, you remained interested?
I can
recall many of these things. Often they came in response to words that I said.
For example, if I happened to say, “silver,” my dad would often respond with
the same line: “Silver. By Walter de la Mare.” And he'd throw back his head in laughter. Or if I happened to say a
certain phrase or discuss a certain idea, he would nod and quote some book or
film using the same (or nearly the same) phrase, often totally out of context.
And
then there were his jokes (which he is still fond of telling). I would think to
myself, “Dad, you know you’ve told us this a hundred times,” or, “Ah, c’mon…that
was pretty lame…that was so corny.” And yet I find myself laughing or smiling
every time. It’s a strange phenomenon in behavior, really. How is it that something
we have heard a hundred times can still be funny to us? How is it that
something seemingly irrelevant to the rest of our conversation can end up being
the only thing we remembered about it?
The
answer is pretty simple. In fact, as I was typing the above paragraph, my wife
came in and read the title of this post, and answered it by saying (rather
matter-of-factly), “Because your dad does.”
This is
such an interesting answer to me, and I think it is exactly the right answer. If
I had read those things in a joke book, I would have laughed or smiled for a
moment, and then I would have forgotten all about them. If I had heard such
quotes or phrases on the radio or perhaps in someone’s Facebook status, I would
have nodded at their simplistic brilliance for an instant before moving on to
other things. But I can still remember jokes and stories and quips told to me
by my father when I was only a small boy.
The fact
is, my remembrance of these things does not prove my own senses’ reliability,
because I have forgotten so many other similar jokes and sayings from many
other places. What I believe this all points to, inevitably, is the relationship
I had with my dad growing up, and also the relationship I still have with
him today. The words in of themselves can be simple and, perhaps, dull. But
they are my father’s words, and they are his words to me. At times, especially
when I was younger, his words sometimes didn’t make much sense—still I laughed,
even though he probably knew I didn’t quite understand what he was getting at.
The knowledge of such things didn’t matter. What mattered was the fact that my
dad had just cued me in on something mysterious and unknown to me. He might
have joked with a co-worker or a friend, or with my mother, but in this case,
he didn’t. Rather than choose his equal, he chose to say some strange new phrase
to his son. And now that I am older, and have since learned either the meaning
behind his tales or the incongruousness of them, I have grown to appreciate
such things, and to cherish them. They were once only letters on a page in some
Reader’s Digest column. Now they have become my father’s, and they are
addressed not to a mailing list or to a social network, but to me.
And
this is, I believe, the method of our eternal Father, who gives good gifts to
his children, and warms their hearts with his words, sometimes a hundred times
over, and sometimes through mystery, but at all times, and in all ways, through
intimacy.
Love this- made me laugh out loud. And, I am sure dad will too! :)
ReplyDelete