We've got it all wrong.
This
morning I was reflecting on the Teacher’s words in Mt. chapters 1-9, and the
theme that I cannot get out of my mind is the word, “Authority.” Again and
again, it seems, he is either teaching about his own authority or he is
displaying his authority through works. Hear that again. He is either teaching
us about his authority or he is displaying his authority through his works.
How
often do we live and “do the works” of obedience with this in mind? It doesn’t matter
what it is. If you have a chance to talk with a co-worker or the cashier at
Wal-Mart, you have been given an opportunity to teach about his authority. If
you have a chance to help a brother or sister, or a stranger, you have been
given an opportunity to display his authority through works.
This is
the point: our lives are to teach and display the authority of our king. After
reading the first nine chapters of Mt., this theme came to a head in my mind as
I read Mt. 10:1…
“And he
called to him his disciples and gave them
authority…”
Brothers,
do you see what this means? The only one who holds all authority in heaven and
earth has the exclusive right to delegate his authority to others. This means
we do not choose authority. This means we do not even ask for it, on our own.
We can’t. We lack the capacity, the sincerity, the humility, the purity…but, he
who holds all things together chooses to give it to us. How and when are separate
subjects. For the moment, let’s just consider the implications of this “gift.”
As I read
on, my eyes stopped on 10:5…
“These
twelve he sent out…”
What do
you see happening here? Let me tell you what I see. The moment I read this, a
certain phrase came into my head. I flipped over and read Rm. 10:15…
“And
how are they to proclaim unless they are
sent?”
What a
stunning question! I had thought that it only meant that Paul was saying, “Hey
everyone, how are we going to get the message out if nobody supports those who
are willing to go?” While I believe this is still a part of that text, since
later in the same book Paul will ask to “be helped on my journey” to a new
field (15:24), I now sense that the fuller purpose of Paul’s inquiry is to
remind the reader that there is only one person who can send out laborers: the
one who owns the field.
Rm.
10:15 is less about being sent and supported by others and is more about the
glorious and supernatural calling of the Father upon a life. In other words,
unless the Good Teacher has all authority, men will not come to know his name,
because he will not have the authority or the ability to send out his people.
But he does have the authority, and
because he has all authority, he can send out his people, and because he can
send them out, the peoples of earth will
know his name. Everything we are able to do is because he has all authority
(Eph. 2:10).
It’s
his harvest. That is why he demanded that
his people bring in the “full tithe” into his storehouse (Mal. 3:10). That
passage is not as much about giving “what we owe him” with the hopes of “getting
a blessing”—in fact, I contend it is not even about us giving our money—it’s
about going to the peoples! Why else
would he say to “bring in the full tithe,” so that there would be “food in my
house”? Why does he “need” food in his house? Is he running out of materials up
there?
No.
Read the rest of the verse. “I will…pour out…blessing…until there is no more need.”
I know I’m
going a bit long in this post today but stay with me: think about these words, “until
there is no more need.” No more need of what? Is a day coming when he will say,
“Hold it, hold it…we’ve got enough supplies now. You guys hang onto the rest.”
I
believe there is a connection here with what is spoken in Mt. 24:14…
“And
this news of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a
testimony to all nations, and then the
end will come.”
In
other words, on that day, “there is no more need” for the people to “bring in
the full tithe.” The harvest will be completed.
Oh,
that we would tithe a tenth of our people instead of our money! Oh, that he
would send out this “tithe” to bring in the harvest of the earth! What if a
fellowship of his people took this to heart, more than we already are? What if
a group of a hundred decided to send ten to the nations? What if a group of a
thousand decided to send a hundred? What would happen?
Mal.
3:10-12 shows us exactly what would happen.
“I will…open
the windows of heaven…pour down for you a blessing…I will rebuke the devourer
for you…your vine in the field shall not fail to bear…then all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land of
delight.”
What is
this blessing, but the authority with which the Teacher sent out the twelve in
Mt. 10:1, which they carried with them throughout the rest of history?
Know that
there is a voice crying out from Asia for more laborers to come. Know that
there are many voices crying out from the darkest corners of the globe for the
same thing. Know that he has the authority to call you out and to send you out.
And know that he has all authority to give his authority to you.
“How then will they
call on him in whom they have not believed?
And how are they to
believe in him of whom they have never heard?
And how are they to
hear without someone proclaiming?
And how are they to
proclaim unless they are sent?”
Rm. 10:14-15
Praise his name, for
he will send you out. He will receive his harvest.
-Ryan
Thought provoking!
ReplyDelete