Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

Dark & Light






 Let’s start with an introduction. My name is Leigh Turner, and I’m blessed to call Ryan and Melissa close friends. We all met in college at Southern Wesleyan University. We were a part of the same Word study and have done some traveling together. Melissa and I have been to London and the Bronx on spring break trips, and Ryan, Melissa and I traveled to Haiti together in May 2011. Now, I have traveled to Cambodia to visit them for 2 weeks and share in their life and ministry here.

Cambodia. This place is so unlike any that I’ve traveled to before. On my first day here, I was struck by a heaviness of spirit (part of that could have been the result of 26 hours of travel to get me here…) as I toured Phnom Penh. I saw Buddhist monks asking for alms. I saw poverty and filthy living conditions. I saw women prostituting themselves, their pimps controlling them and men taking them up on their offers. I saw people bowing down to idols and giving sacrifices of flowers and food to spirits. I heard about the corruptness of the government. I experienced tiredness and physical discomfort from the heat and lack of AC; it made a difference. It was heavy and a culture shock. I remember Ryan asking me what I thought about the city or what I’d seen, and I gave him a two-word response, “It’s heavy.”

I’m now over halfway through with my trip, and I have been somewhat overwhelmed at times by the darkness that I see. Sometimes I wonder how any of this will change, how any positive efforts will make a difference, how the efforts of few will make a difference to many, how chains will be broken, how this country will come to know the love of the Father. At those times, the Father gently brings to mind conversations and experiences of my time here--conversations and experiences that show light in the darkness, hope, change, healing, love, our Father at work in this place--and I know there is hope. This morning is one of the many examples of the sweet love of the Father in reminding me of this hope.

This morning, Melissa, Lindsey (my traveling companion and younger sister) and I went to Sugar ‘n Spice Café (http://daughtersofcambodia.org/) for brunch and then the Phnom Penh House of Prayer (http://phnompenhhouseofprayer.com/) for our morning devotion time. Sitting in that room with a view of the city, and a young women pray/singing the cry of her heart for the people of this nation, I was once again reminded by our Creator that He is here in this place. I want to share what I wrote in my journal during that time of prayer and worship. These words echo what has been on my heart and mind during my time here.
            “The presence of the King is in this place. Sometimes the darkness is overpowering--the sin seems too great--the workers too few--the language barrier too difficult--the elements too frustrating--but the Father is here in Cambodia. His light is shining in darkness. He is healing. His children are serving with reckless abandon. He is here. He is transforming lives. The task is great; He is greater.”

Hope. That is what the Father has shown me here. He is great, and He is here and He is light. Darkness is combatted by light--no, darkness is conquered by light.

No comments:

Post a Comment