Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Guest Post: A Father's Visit

My recent opportunity to travel to the Kingdom of Cambodia was both a joy and a privilege.  First, I want to express thanks to my loving wife Lesley for “holding down the fort” both at home and in our business, since she carried my responsibilities in addition to her own.  Without her, my trip would not have been possible.

It was an honor to meet many team members who share in Ryan and Melissa’s vision and service.  The Father has assembled a team from different races, nationalities, ages and tongues to lift up His name in this place. Spending time with these many humble servants, hearing their stories and their hearts was perhaps the greatest joy I experienced.  Yes, there are the exotic stories to tell…like trying fried snake and crickets for the first time or having schools of little fish “bite” my feet to eat away the dead skin…but these stories pale in comparison to the heart of  what is really happening in Cambodia.

I was humbled to be received as not only a special guest, but also as a special guest speaker in a remote village about an hour from the city. This was the village of one of Ryan and Melissa’s friends, named Kal.  Kal is both a student and an enthusiastic believer!  I was to be the speaker and he was the translator for the fellowship meeting.  We enjoyed giving gift bags to the children, experiencing a traditional Cambodian meal, and a delightful walk through the rice fields surrounding the village.  A special treat was witnessing an immersion service in which two young people committed themselves to the faith.

I also experienced how love and friendliness are the universal language to break down barriers.  Since I only speak a few words or phrases in Khmer, often a smile or friendly gesture was all I had to offer.  This seemed  to work out fine for the many neighbors I met. 


I was very blessed to be able to observe my kids in action.  I am so proud of them and yet so humbled.  I watched them show and share the love of the Father in many different settings.  Watching Melissa share packs of fruit snacks with poor children reminds me of the Master’s words when he said, “If anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward (Mt 10:42).”  Seeing Ryan engage with students and their subsequent inquiries and questions makes me think of the twelve trying to figure out life through a barrage of questions to the Master.  This is why they are there.  Indeed, the fields are ripe for harvest! 

-David Seibert


No comments:

Post a Comment