Our
little man is a week old today. Here is the story of how he came into the
world. Enjoy!
We
spent most of the day on Friday, January 1st, in a birthing class
along with several other first-time expectant couples. It was like drinking
from a fire hose, but the material was so helpful and I, for one, felt like I
had stepped into a completely different universe. The woman who hosted the
class does free classes for expectant folks in the region as a ministry; she
has lived in Thailand for many years and has her own Thailand birth stories to
tell. Not only does she offer the classes, but she also offers coaching and
support as expectant mothers go into labor (she’s a big help to the dads, too).
We
finished our class mid-afternoon and planned to come to another next week on
“Baby Care.” The lady running the class joked that we should have our baby
early so that we could use him as a model for the session.
In
the evening, Melissa had this sudden burst of energy—lots of energy. We walked
all over the neighborhood (with her setting the pace, mind you) in the cool evening
air, and she kept talking about how she thought the baby might come early. We
got back to our room at our organization’s office to go to bed, but Melissa
felt pretty restless so we were up for a while. Right around midnight, she felt
a contraction—the very first she’d had during her pregnancy.
By
one in the morning, the contractions were picking up the pace, and closer to
two, they were steadily growing closer together and increasing in intensity. I
started counting how close they were and how prolonged around this time, while
Melissa continued to bounce on the ball or sway against the wall. By 3 A.M. we
were starting to feel she was entering labor, despite everyone telling us to
expect at least 6-12 hours of early labor before every leaving for the hospital.
We called our friend who was leading the birth class and she agreed that
Melissa might be heading into labor. Now, admittedly, just two days ago I
wouldn’t have known the first thing about labor signs (other than movies), but
having just had a crash course on the whole process, I felt pretty confident it
was time to go. The hospital was not far, and our friend encouraged us that
walking would be really good for Melissa. So we walked the roughly 1.5
kilometers to the hospital in the dead at night, with only a few noisy rats as
company on the way.
Around
3:45 we were checked into Sriphat Hospital, and discovered Melissa was already
at 4 cm (if you’re new to this like me, she needs to be at 10 cm in order to
push, and typically many first-time moms experience up to 24 hours of labor
before getting ready to rumble).
At
4:30 we called our friend from the class again and asked for support, since
Melissa’s labor seemed to be accelerating and her contractions were extremely
close together (it got hard to tell when one stopped and another started). She
hopped in her vehicle and headed our way. By the time she arrived, Melissa was
close to 7 cm and really feeling the heat. Our friend was an awesome coach and
guided us through each contraction as I held Melissa and we walked through each
and every breath.
The
sun started to come up over the mountains that encircle Chiang Mai, and about
this time our friend pulled back the curtains to reveal an astounding red
sunrise overlooking the city (we were on the 12th floor, so the view
was pretty incredible…not that we were real focused on that or anything).
Right
around 7:15, Melissa was fully dilated and ready to push. She was awesome. Our
friend and I coached and encouraged while the Thai doctor and her staff got to
work. But Melissa did the rest, and as we prayed continually we felt the
Father’s strength and protection over her and our son. At 7:54 in the morning,
Oliver David Seibert entered the world. Melissa had gone from no contractions
to holding her son in just under 8 hours.
As
I type this, a flood of emotions that I just haven’t had time to listen to are
beginning to settle on me. Reality is also setting in. I’m a dad. Wow. That’s
nuts.
Mom
and baby are safe and sound. I’m not sure I could have pictured a more seamless
birthing process (not at all trying to minimize the immense effort and hard
work Melissa put in today). We are so, so grateful for this day and how it’s
unraveled. And I’m so in awe of the miracle of life. Like many have told me,
you really can’t describe it unless you have experienced it, and even now I
still don’t know how to put how I feel into words. So, for the moment, I’ll
just leave it at this: I am astounded by the love of the One who makes all
things, who creates all persons, who establishes all life, and who delights in
the things he has made.
-R
First family photo! (Maybe 5 minutes after birth)
Dr. Supreeya, who delivered our little fella
Praise the Lord for His Grace and the gift of life. Blessing on all three (3) of you. Love ya. Shannon & Don
ReplyDelete