Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Learning the Language?


I want to know all the greetings. I want to know how to negotiate the price of a tuk tuk ride beforehand so I don’t get overcharged as foreigners often do. I want to ask the lady at the vegetable stand how she’s doing, and ask the kids down the street their names, even though they already seem to get so excited just by me saying “hello” in English. Most of all I want to be able to here people’s stories. I want to be a good listener so that I can be a good encourager. We’ve heard that one of the best ways you can communicate you care is through learning someone’s language. I really want to communicate that so here I come, language learning!
 I signed up today for an hour of language training three times a week from 7-8 in the morning. I’m just a little nervous. The staff is really sweet, but I can tell they are not going to be easy on us.  That is what we need though… we need to be pushed to learn. We were only signing up today and even though they can speak great English they were intentional in teaching us Khmer phrases as we filled out the paper work. When western students entered they would address them in Khmer and expect them to answer in Khmer. Hopefully that will be me soon! I’m very anxious to learn, I just feel that I’m not great at picking up new languages…so please lift this up!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment